why cairo and the pdf imaging model?

From: Rogelio M . Serrano Jr .
Subject: why cairo and the pdf imaging model?
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 01:14:15 +0800

Im sorry to ask  a very basic question but the reason behind display
postscript or it derivative eludes me. Is there an old thread somewhere
that i can read?

Im trying to decide whether to use an x derivative running on opengl
or cairo on opengl. it seems that the first choice seems easier than the
second. I now have an OS optimised for gnustep with fbdri. Im trying to
decide the next step (no pun intended) to take.