Re: why cairo and the pdf imaging model?

From: Banlu Kemiyatorn
Subject: Re: why cairo and the pdf imaging model?
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 01:02:31 +0700

Rogelio M.Serrano Jr. wrote:

Im sorry to ask  a very basic question but the reason behind display
postscript or it derivative eludes me. Is there an old thread somewhere
that i can read?

All the drawings in GNUstep need (2D) PostScript-like API.

Im trying to decide whether to use an x derivative running on opengl
or cairo on opengl. it seems that the first choice seems easier than the
second. I now have an OS optimised for gnustep with fbdri. Im trying to
decide the next step (no pun intended) to take.

Cairo is not a windowing system. There is no windowing API in Cairo.
It is for drawing 2D curves, 2D text and 2D images. PDF and PostScript can do
that as well as Cairo. X on OpenGL won't have these painting APIs base on
OpenGL, so technically you probably need both. Cairo can be used to draw into a frame buffer or can use OpenGL API to draw 2D in future. It doesn't need X.