Re: GNUstep on MS Windows

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: GNUstep on MS Windows
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 18:46:32 +0100

Hi,

Excuse me for late reply, I'm a bit busy these days as my semester is ending.

On 2003-12-01 19:31:56 +0100 Pete French <pete@twisted.org.uk> wrote:

when I compiled a small list of tasks and promissed to join in, if others take over some of it. No responce at all.

Maybe we just dont have anyone here who knows anything about Windows ?
I have never seriouslyconsidered cntributing anything to the Win32 port
because I know absolutelynothing about the Windows API and thus dont
think I could be of any help whatsoever. The nature of GNUstep is
to attract UNIX people. I'm note sure its apathy, just a lack of skills.

This is valid point. Problem is not non-interest in Windows port, but in
knowledge of Windows API. And that is the reason why I (and perhaps some
others) are looking for a cross-platform development environment, where one can
develop, say on Linux and *just deploy* on Windows. All this without need of
knowledge about Windows development environment. Of course, that you need to
know basics.

All I can do for GNUstep and Windows right now, is just to (try to install it
there and) test, because I need to focus on my project.

So, to sum up the answers for GNUstep on Windows question:
- GNUstep can work on Windows
- it is unstable
- PB does not work
- D&D does not work
- (what else is missing?)

That it is "Unstable" can be fixed by more usage and testing, so that is not a
big problem right now, considering state of GNUstep.

Is it feasible to use GNUstep on Windows? And ... can I count on GNUstep or
should I rather look for some other development environment?

Stefan Urbanek
--
http://stefan.agentfarms.net

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you
win.
- Mahatma Gandhi