Re: GNUstep on MS Windows

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: GNUstep on MS Windows
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 17:30:19 +0100

On Dec 6, 2003, at 5:15 PM, Gregory John Casamento wrote:
Granted that they look more like MS-native widgets, then they would under GNUstep. I believe that the point is that we need to get GNUstep *working* on Windows such that there are very few bugs (relative however many bugs there normally are at any given point. ;) ) and *THEN* we concentrate on getting the
look and feel to be more windows-ish.   Plain and simple.

No, it isn't simple at all. Of course you need to focus on the ability to work with native widget backends in the first place. This is not something which can be "fixed in" as an afterthought.

Using native window widgets directly does not fit into the paradigm of
OpenStep/GNUstep in which the widgets are drawn by drawRect: using postscript
commands.

Which is one reason why AppKit is not suited very well for cross-UI development. And why AppKit on Windows is certainly *not* the missing killer application/feature for GNUstep.

So simply plugging in windows widgets wont work.   The best ew can
do is to approximate the look of Windows or whatever other OS we're
implementing a new look and feel for.

Just like Java Swing, ROTFL ;-) Use the native toolkit on the platform, all other approaches are bound to s***.

regards,
  Helge
--
OpenGroupware.org => http://www.opengroupware.org/