Re: GNUstep on MS Windows

From: Rogelio M . Serrano Jr .
Subject: Re: GNUstep on MS Windows
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 08:38:30 +0800

On 2003-12-07 08:17:45 +0800 Gregory John Casamento <greg_casamento@yahoo.com> wrote:

--- Adam Fedor <fedor@doc.com> wrote:

On Saturday, December 6, 2003, at 09:54 AM, Gregory John Casamento wrote:

As I said previously, unless we change the paradigm by which we are > drawing the views and handling events we cannot use the natvie widgets. I > honestly don't see this happening in the short term, if ever. This is the same > reason GTK widgets cannot be used from GNUstep classes. I'm not saying it's > impossible, just that it will require a certain amount of uphieval in the > architechture of
GNUstep itself.

Just for reference, the original backend (long, long, long time ago) was structured similarly to what might need to be done, with a separate backend class for each gui class, each responsible for drawing itself and in some cases, handling events. Besides the obvious code duplication, there's the subclassing problem - what if you wanted to subclass an NSButton? It's not possible in this case, at least not in an easy portable manner.

I believe I remember this. The problem with this was that it's was odds with the way it should be done in an OpenStep environment, which is, I assume, why
it was changed (the subclassing issue aside). :)
The widgets and windows should draw themselves, not delegate to another class
to act as the actual widget.

Besides, aren't the Microsoft APIs written in C++??
GJC

Anybody actually tried using native windows widgets in the backend? Can the pro
native widgets people show a proof of concept?

=====
Gregory John Casamento -- CEO/President Open Logic Corp.
-- bheron on #gnustep, #linuxstep, & #gormtalk ---------------- Please sign the petition against software patents at: http://www.petitiononline.com/pasp01/petition.html