Re: gdnc doesn't want to run

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: gdnc doesn't want to run
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 10:12:51 -0800

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:59:58 +0100
"Peter Ellison" <g-d-b@freegates.be> wrote:
> I want to run GWorkspace on FreeBSD 4.9. But gdnc doesn't want to run.
> There is no other gdnc in the ix86 directory. When I do ./openapp
> ../Applications/GWorkspace.app, a message is displayed the hostname or
> something could not be found and "localhost" is used instead. And
> then: notification server could not be contacted, trying to start
> one... But it cannot start one. When I try ./gdnc at the command line
> (no X running), it doesn't do anything. When I do a "ps" after ./gdnc,
> there's a "[1] + ...done" line at the end of the list. I also tried
> putting "exec gdnc" in .xinitrc. Doesn't work either. How can I start
> gdnc?

You might want to start gdnc from a shell script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d
See the attached files.

To use them, edit 'gdomap_if' and and change the line

  aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd zzz.yyy.xxx.www

to reflect your network settings. The first is your IP, the second is
your netmask, eg.

  192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0

Put 'gdomap_if' in /usr/local/etc.

Take a look at 'GNUstep.sh' and edit the path to reflect your GNUstep
installation (on my box, GNUstep is installed in / directly)

  GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT=/System

eg.

  GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT=/usr/GNUstep/System

Put 'GNUstep.sh' in /usr/local/etc/rc.d (make sure it's executable)

--
Chris