Re: makefile skeletons?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: makefile skeletons?
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 13:57:13 +0000

On 5 Jan 2004, at 13:32, Dennis Leeuw wrote:

Nicola Pero wrote:
Where can GNUmakefile skeletons (for applications, tools, etc) be found?
Good question/suggestion. We don't have an official (or unofficial, for
what matters) set of GNUmakefile skeletons.
I see two main uses for GNUmakefile skeletons - one as starting points. In that case, probably minimal GNUmakefiles are best.

The Programming Tutorial has some basic starting points for makefiles. I don't think however that an entire list of variables should be part of the Tutorial.

So make/Examples seems a good place, or one of your famous mini-tutorials....

Yes ... or even better, a tutorial *plus* a reference document ... I *think* the only place most variables are documented is in the makefiles where they are used, and it seems to me that a single reference document would be more friendly. Perhaps a comprehensive reference document, beginning with a tutorial and lots of examples.