Re: XML idea

From: Marcel Weiher
Subject: Re: XML idea
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 00:19:26 +0000

On 7 Jan 2004, at 13:41, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

On 7 Jan 2004, at 11:32, Helge Hess wrote:

On 07.01.2004, at 11:09, richard@tiptree.demon.co.uk wrote:
The extensions library is available for a looong time. Not sure why we need a new "PortabilityKit" library.

The problem with the extension library was that its copyright was not owned by the FSF, and I think FSF policy was that it should therefore not be distributed as part of GNUstep.

Of course. Did someone ever talk with Ovidiu (which probably holds the Copyright on most stuff) before rewriting everything I'm pretty sure it would have not been an issue for him to assign copyright.
Sigh ...

I believe the issue of getting the copyright assigned was looked into and there were idealogical reasons for the copyright holders not doing it.

Just as a side note (not that it applies in this case): German copyright law, for example, does not allow for the copyright to be assigned to anyone. The author may license his/her work such that it effectively is the same, but it is not possible to transfer the copyright itself to anyone else. And the Berne convention, which regulates copyright internationally, stipulates that the jurisdiction lies with the law of the country of the original author...

So there can be reasons other than ideological...

Marcel

--
Marcel Weiher                           Metaobject Software Technologies
marcel@metaobject.com           www.metaobject.com