Re: [objc-improvements-branch] About to start ObjC++

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: [objc-improvements-branch] About to start ObjC++
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 08:47:59 -0500

Markus Hitter wrote:

> Am 22.01.2004 um 18:36 schrieb Travis Griggs:
>
> > So my question for you is, what do your [ObjC++] efforts mean for me
> > as a simple application programmer?
>
> Don't name your source files .mm, stick with .m. Some megs disk space
> lost, if installed.
>
> > I abhor C++ the language (some of the semantic compiler improvements
> > such as declare variables anywhere are nice). Do I get to look forward
> > to C++ idioms infecting the base library?
>
> Think of ObjC++ as an compiler capable of compiling all three languages
> in _one_ file: ObjC, C++ and plain C. This arises surprisingly few
> conflicts.

You mean except for the places in which C and C++ disagree...that is, a
conformant ISO C++ compiler cannot be a conformant ISO C compiler (and vice
versa, of course), because the language specs do conflict with one another
in some cases (not all of which are obscure).

One should be aware of this when combining C and C++, especially if you use
some of the things new to C99.

[snip]