Re: Question about Cocoa/Gnustep

From: Y. J. Chun
Subject: Re: Question about Cocoa/Gnustep
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 20:31:26 +0900

On Apr 23, 2004, at 11:25 PM, Gregory John Casamento wrote:

There is much precedent in both US and European court decisions which state that an API (like Cocoa, Win32, DOS, etc, etc) cannot be copyrighted. --

What about header files? API is mostly defined in header files and it is inevitable that header files would look similiar from implementation to implementation. Is it possible if, suppose i'm developing my own another OpenStep impl., I legally copy apple's header file and modify them?

It is certainly illegal if i declare the fact that I copied apple's header files but what is the guideline to determine wether it is a copy of their product or not?

I was always curious about this. some wine emulator's header files look same with MSVC's.

--
Y. J. Chun <yjchun@mac.com>