Re: Question about Cocoa/Gnustep

From: Graham J Lee
Subject: Re: Question about Cocoa/Gnustep
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 15:03:46 +0100

On 2004-04-25 14:25:10 +0100 Gregory John Casamento <greg_casamento@yahoo.com> wrote:

What about header files? API is mostly defined in header files and it is inevitable that header files would look similiar from implementation to implementation. Is it possible if, suppose i'm developing my own another OpenStep impl., I legally copy apple's header file and modify them?

Don't do that. It's certainly illegal to do a *straight* copy. The headers in GNUstep have been created by utilizing the documentation in the spec and
other Cocoa documentation as a reference.

It is certainly illegal if i declare the fact that I copied apple's header files but what is the guideline to determine wether it is a copy of their product or not?

It's certainly illegal if you do a verbatim copy, that is to simply "cp someheader.h anothername.h" or something like that. I can't stress enough
that no direct copying should be done.

[...]

Header files, in cases where no other documentation is available, can also be viewed as documentation since they reveal the interface, but none of the
implementation.   But, please, DO NOT COPY ANY HEADERS INTO GNUSTEP.

Exactly. That's what some of the kerfuffle over the SCO/Linux thing was about: SCO maintained that Linus' 0.01 release of errno.h was a verbatim copy of the SysV errno.h and hence *illegal*. Now, I am not a paralegal, but thankfully groklaw is run by one so we can defer to groklaw :-).

Note that whether or not the specific case considered here is infringing, the general point seems the same: a header file is part of the *implementation* of a system even if the content is described in some open standard. So Gregory is correct; other people's header files should not be copied into GNUstep.

Cheers,

Graham.
--
Graham Lee