Re: Eeeagh! I'm at my wits end.

From: Simon Stapleton
Subject: Re: Eeeagh! I'm at my wits end.
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 12:00:48 +0200

Some more data points...

First off, my previous mail was misleading. When I said +initialize, I meant +processInfo. My bad.

Here's the output of my logging, the location of the various printfs should be self-evident. At this point, it has become evident that th eproblem is not so much with _gnu_noobjc*, but with _gnu_environment and friends.

+[NSProcessInfo load]
At exit of load,
        _gnu_noobjc_argc == 1
_gnu_noobjc_argv == 10025578
+[NSProcessInfo load]
At exit of load,
        _gnu_noobjc_argc == 1
_gnu_noobjc_argv == 100c3618
In main
At entry of +[NSProcessInfo initialize],
        _gnu_noobjc_argc == 1
        _gnu_noobjc_argv == 10025578
        &_gnu_nobjc_argv == f5d1e7c
At end of _gnu_process_args,
        _gnu_environment == 100f9028
        _gnu_processName == 100ebca0
        _gnu_arguments == 100f3338
At entry of +[NSProcessInfo processInfo],
        _gnu_noobjc_argc == 1
        _gnu_noobjc_argv == 0
        &_gnu_nobjc_argv == f5d1e7c
        _gnu_environment == 0
        _gnu_processName == 0
        _gnu_arguments == 0

It occurs to me that for some reason, base has built with garbage collection, although I neither want nor need it (as the offending _gnu_arguments and friends are disappearing, never to be seen again, between +initialize and +processInfo - if gc was not being expected, they should be being retained).

Does this make sense? And how can I force GNUstep to build _without_ gc? I'm guessing that this is going to involve a complete recompile of all the libraries, yet again. Sigh.

Simon
--
AppleCare.  Now _there's_ an oxymoron for you.