Fw: Books / GNUStep / XML

From: Christopher Culver
Subject: Fw: Books / GNUStep / XML
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 17:33:27 +0200 (CEST)

Here's a message from Chris Karr regarding cross-platform XML support
in Books. I would be grateful if the more experienced developers here
could advise him. To me choice 2 seems the best, since libxml is
already a dependency for GNUstep, but what do I know.

It looks like there's not that much more to do
before Books on GNUstep becomes a reality.

Christopher Culver
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Books / GNUStep / XML Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 09:37:54 -0500 As I've posted on my blog, I've addressed a lot of the concerns the GNUStep folk have about porting Books to GNUStep. The one large task that remains is the usage of the CoreFoundation XML routines that are unavailable elsewhere. I was thinking about this problem on the way to work and came up with two possible solutions:

1. Create an XML wrapper class that could be implemented to support any DOM-based XML parsers. This approach has advantages in that XML libraries could be swapped in for increased compatibility, performance, and so forth. The disadvantage is that the wrapper would have to be reimplemented in places where CF is not available. (GNUStep)

2. Use a more standard and available library such as libxml. This would probably involve replacing the CF procedural calls with some other ones. This has an advantage as there are probably many out there who know and understand libxml and it's probably fairly widely available. Its disadvantage is that my project now has a libxml dependency and I can either bundle the library with Books or I have to be sure that users have it installed.

Any thoughts about which is a better way to proceed from the GNUStep developers?

-Chris

--- End Message ---