Re: Success with Cygwin - except for gdnc... any ideas ?

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Success with Cygwin - except for gdnc... any ideas ?
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 00:42:35 +0200

Hi Pete,

your on windows now? What a surprise.

Pete French wrote:
O.K., I happily managed to compile and cuild all the GNUstep
bits under Cygwin without any trouble. Seems to work flawlessly
straight out of the box, which was an unexpected surprise.

I did report this a few months ago :-) Did you download the objc.dll from GNUstep.org or does cygwin finally contain one?

I am testing by runnign Ink.app - but it always complains that
it cannt find gdnc for some reason, and tried to start a new one.
Now gdnc is definitely running, and more start each time I
try the App, so I am puzzled as to why the Apps cannot connect to
them. Has anyone seen this before ? Everything else seems to
work fine - including the backend as the Apps pop up nice little windows to
say they cant find gdnc.

What I do is start gdnc with the option -f in a seperate cygwin shell. This prevents it from forking and than it seems to work. There have been a few patches for GNUstep base on Windows, I don't know what parts of them are still outstanding. As none of the GNUstep developers works normally on Windows, we may be a bit slow in that area.

Cheers
Fred