Re: Success with Cygwin - except for gdnc... any ideas ?

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Success with Cygwin - except for gdnc... any ideas ?
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 19:43:09 +0200

Pete French wrote:
I did report this a few months ago :-) Did you download the objc.dll from GNUstep.org or does cygwin finally contain one?

Cygwin contains one - but it doesnt quite work with GNustep
so I just did a make install from the libobjc in dev-libs from CVS.
Is that code up-to-date ? I assumed so, but maybe it isnt ?

There is also a precompiled one on the GNUstep website. ftp://ftp.gnustep.org/pub/gnustep/libs/gnustep-objc-1.3.0.tar.gz And libffi comes with gjc the GNUstep Java compiler. If only Cygwin would provide a working objc.dll...

What I do is start gdnc with the option -f in a seperate cygwin shell. This prevents it from forking and than it seems to work. There have been a few patches for GNUstep base on Windows, I don't know what parts of them are still outstanding. As none of the GNUstep developers works normally on Windows, we may be a bit slow in that area.

Ah, O.K. - thats interesting, because if that fixes it then maybe it
wont be that hard to track down what is up with it (and its
a fairly viable workaround anyway I guess). Excellent! Thanks (how did
you nwork that one out BTW?)

Not to hard. Forking has always been the one biggest source of porting trouble to Windows. So I searched in the code for a way to switch it off. Previously you also needed to switch off forking for gdomap, but this was somehow fixed.

Cheers
Fred