Re: World-Wide (ish) NeXT Meetups

From: gerold
Subject: Re: World-Wide (ish) NeXT Meetups
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 23:36:24 +0200

On Sunday 30 May 2004 20:40, Simon Stapleton wrote:
> On 30 May 2004, at 17:59, discuss-gnustep-request@gnu.org wrote:
> > From: Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com>
> > Subject: Re: World-Wide (ish) NeXT Meetups
> > To: Graham J Lee <leeg@teaching.physics.ox.ac.uk>
> > Cc: discuss-gnustep@gnu.org
> >
> > Le 30 mai 04, à 05:52, Graham J Lee a écrit :
> >> This is a *very* geeky thought, but it strikes me that 2004-10-19 is
> >> the tenth anniversary of the OpenStep specification being published,
> >> and in my book that's as good an excuse for a party as any.
> >> Unfortunately, 2004-10-19 is also a Tuesday; however may I recommend
> >> that GNUstep/NeXTSTEP people from all over the world arrange to have
> >> parties on the weekend of October 16/17?  I for one would like to meet
> >> some of you, discuss GNUstep, OS X, NeXT, reminisce about computers
> >> gone by and also have a lot of fun.
> >
> > Sounds like a very good idea, indeed.
> >
> >> So, how does it sound?  I'd appreciate any feedback.  Number of people
> >> interested, locations of people, willingness to travel, what you'd
> >> like to do; and most important of all willingness to arrange meet-ups!
> >>  It's unfeasible that everyone could get to one meeting but if we can
> >> arrange parties in a number of suitably-spaced locations then we'll
> >> still have a world-wide spirit; handy when considering the world-wide
> >> web came from NeXTSTEP!  ;-)
> >
> > I will definitely come to Oxford for the event :-)
> >
> > Another idea, after talking about that event on #gnustep... we are a
> > few gnustep developers in england, and france isn't that far (well
> > Paris->Oxford at least) with train, and possibly people in others
> > countries could want to come...
> >
> > So, why not organize a "GNUstep Developers Meeting", say from the
> > saturday to the monday, where we'll be able to discuss and code ?
> >
> > Then, the tuesday, we could have some kind of "OpenStep Day", with
> > talks -- from NeXT/Cocoa devs, and from us (like a talk to present
> > gnustep, its current state and future, and another to show the
> > technology...)
> > Targetting OpenStep will permit to have more people the tuesday and
> > could be quite interesting for everybody (plus we'll be able to show
> > gnustep to the people that are the most likely to use it in the first
> > place)
> >
> > So, are there some people interested to do that ? October isn't perfect
> > from an organization point of view, and tuesday isn't great either,
> > beeing in the middle of the week. But the symbol is nice...
>
> I for one would be willing to host AlpenStep (Hey, I had to.  Sorry.)
> chez moi in the French Alps.  Should have enough room for 8-10 to stay
> here by October, I can have a wireless 'net set up  (although
> connections to the internet are liable to be a little - well, let's
> just say - dialup.
>
> If we can arrange for synchronized arrivals, I could even do pickups
> from Geneva or Annecy.
>
> I'm thinking a 3-4 day heavy duty development frenzy, with wine and
> cheese.

> [...]

I have just moved to a larger apartment here in Geneva, with my home office
having a spare bed. I can put up one or two persons here for Alpenstep. I
would also be willing to help out with travel as I am reasonably close to
pick up persons at either the airport or train station and have a station
wagon (break).

I also can make available my ADSL connection here at home.

I have considerable amount of Openstep documentation (as well as two
NeXTstations) that I can get up and running.

I can also help out for communications -english, french and german.

What is the best way to get started ? Fix a date or the place first ?

I think a weekend would be preferable.

Sincerely,

--
Gerold Rupprecht