Re: ANN: GWorkspace 0.6.5

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: ANN: GWorkspace 0.6.5
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 02:21:02 +0200

Enrico Sersale wrote:
To answer also to the other mails in this thread:
don't expect this dock to become a full replacement for the WindowMaker's one; this, simply, is not possible. To get this, you'd need a kind of "NSWorkspace - workspace application - window manager" object that doesn't exist. If you read NSWorkspace.h, it is evident that, in its original conception, this class implies the existence of a workspace application; but, in our implementation, this is not possible. Said this, I must add that something in this direction can be done; the introduction of the _workspaceApplication ivar in NSWorkspace, for example, has helped me very much; a daemon keeping track of the running applications, as Chad says in a other mail, would be an other step in the right direction. And, take a look in Desktop.m; I've a full implementation of all the NSWorkspace methods that mount and umount volumes; actually it is a bit too linux-specific but, with some ifdefs in the part that parse /etc/mtab, I think that could be moved in NSWorkspace.

This looks nice, why don't you move it over. The onyl part I don't like about it is the getting of the removable devices from a environmant variable. This looks wrong to me, we should get this from fstab or mtab. My Linux 2.6 has the type "subfs" for these devices. I cannot remember how 2.4 treated them. This solution isn't any more Linux specific than the current one. For something more general we will need to wait for HAL (http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/hal)

Fred