Re: GWorkspace as windowmanager?

From: Frederico Muñoz
Subject: Re: GWorkspace as windowmanager?
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 00:18:44 +0100

Hi,

On 2004-06-13 00:07:16 +0100 Alexander Malmberg <alexander@malmberg.org> wrote:

> Enrico Sersale wrote:
>> It seems that there are some restrictions in setting the event-mask
>> in XSelectInput(); I never used XLib and I didn't know this. I can't
>> get mouse and key events beacause the window manager has already
>> selected them.
>>
>> Is there any way to go around this?
>
> I've looked into this a bit on other occasions, and iirc, it's simply an
> X thing. As long as there's a window manager, it will (by definition) be
> listening for events on the root window, and no other program can get
> events from the root.

I must be missing something here... if the final objective is to get the root
window to be able to do things like icons and icon selection and movement isn't
this what is implemented in the several file managers that provide desktop
workspace like nautilus, gmc, etc? This runs with e.g. WindowMaker and the
icons are selectable when using one of the above programs. I've even saw
screenshots ( I think it was from Rox Filer) with desktop icons above a
background that was an application displaying in the root window (xplanet).

Actually I found this in the Rox FAQ:

-----------
I use blackbox/fluxbox and the root menus don't work properly anymore

These window managers don't support the Extended Window Manager Hints
specification yet, although they hope to in future releases. In the meantime,
turn on the 'Pass all backdrop mouse clicks to window manager' and 'Blackbox
root menus hack' options in the Options box (Compatibility section).

This would appear to indicate that the window manager can be made to give up on
monopolizing the root window...

I'm sorry if the discussion at hand is technically completely different and the
points I raise are moot... In the end I would just like to see the blinking
problem of Desktop.app go away :)

Best Regards,

fsmunoz
--