Re: window migrations

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: window migrations
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:14:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, Fred Kiefer wrote:

> I ma ybe responsible for this and the other reported moving windows
> issues. The code in (XGServer -styleoffsets:::::) uses hard coded values
>   for the border offset when there is no other way to tell. The basic
> problem here is that X offers no way to ask the window manager in
> advance for the decoration offset and that GNUsteps insists on knowing,
> even before the window is displayed.
> The current hard coded values for the EWMH case are the one KDE had at
> the time I was coding this. Now the top size for the theme I am using
both GNOME and KDE, as well as a number of WindowManagers, all use NET_WM
now. GNUstep does not support it, AFAIK. Is this correct? If so, it
probably should, as there is a pending patch for WindowMaker (I actually
already have it applied against my CVS WindowMaker) which will make the
"recommended GNUstep Window Manager" support it as well. I suspect if
GNUstep supported freedesktop.org's NET_WM, I suspect a lot of wonky
problems would be avoided altogether.

Alex Perez