Re: Starting GNUstep (Debian)

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Starting GNUstep (Debian)
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:10:12 -0400

Hi,

FWIW, I agree with the sentiments of your post. I am not sure about any organizational changes but do think GNUstep on linux at least has gotten to the point where presenting itself as a desktop alternative to Gnome and KDE is not at all unrealistic, and it would lower the energy barrier for people to become involved.

- GNUstep is already fortunate to be distributed as Debian packages. But you need to install them piecemeal, and hack around a little as noted to get things set up. It would be very little effort to create a single meta-package "GNUstep" (or maybe "GNUstep-desktop") containing the libraries and docs, workspace, mail, gorm, projectcenter, the basic pdf and image viewers, cynthiune (if it's in debian) and maybe eventually terminal / textedit / preferences if they ever have a release, together with windowmaker and the ".desktop" file suggested to appear in the "sessions" list.

- Something similar might eventually be done for Fedora and Gentoo, since there have been initial packaging efforts for those distributions. This, together with all the Debian-derivative distributions, would cover a large part of the linux world at least.

While I appreciate the attractiveness of pure-GNUstep distributions and the efforts that people have put into them, the need to install an entire distribution can represent a significant energy barrier for people trying out GNUstep, so smooth setup from distribution packages may recruit additional users (and from there developers).

All of this said, I think some might worry about a huge flood of bug reports and questions if GNUstep became more widely used. Maybe this should wait for another few months so that GUI can get to 1.0, a user-friendly "services" package can be put together out of the existing examples, and at least a rudimentary solution be put into place for in-application Help. This would put usability to about where GNOME was circa early 2000 (with a better, more mature framework underneath).