Re: Voice over IP.

From: Peter Cooper
Subject: Re: Voice over IP.
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:55:07 +0200

Hi all

> I frequently think about applications that would make GNUstep more
> popular. I would like to suggest that we write a Voice over IP telephone
> application. I would volunteer for this myself, but I don't have the
> equipment that I would need to develop and debug such an application (two
> networks, at least two machines, two soundcards, and two microphones).
>
> It seems to me that this would be a really cool toy that many people would
> like to have. I also believe that you GNUstep gurus out there could have a
> prototype up and running after a couple of days of coding.

In the spirit of providing tips to anyone interested in this as a project, SIP
libraries and toolkits exist with good licensing:

http://www.gnu.org/software/osip/osip.html

A google search will find a number of H.323 libraries as well. These are the
two dominant VoIP protocols in use, with SIP being simpler to implement, but
H.323 being used by widely-deployed tools like Microsoft NetMeeting etc.

> I'm a bit naive when it comes to analysing software requirements, so maybe
> this is harder than it looks, but I don't think so. Anyhow this is
> precisely why I am sending my proposal to the list.

For me, it would be a killer app even if didn't do video ;) or shared white
board type things. A simple interface which:

* interfaces with Bjoern's AddressManager

* doesn't slavishly pretend to be a telephone

* has a good history window/list that may be used to re-connect to previous
  counter parties

* looks slick and modern :)

Regards

Peter