Re: gnustep, wo4.5.1 co-exist?

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: gnustep, wo4.5.1 co-exist?
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:26:04 +0200

Wim Oudshoorn wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 10:19:16AM +0200, d.ayers@inode.at wrote:
>
>>>I'm not sure whether you just want to use both on the same machine or
>>>have them interact.  Interaction between the two is pretty limited due
>>>to compatibility issues.
>>
>>Actually I believe you may even have some issues by merely having them on
>>the same machine.  Would you be planing to compile GNUstep with gcc from
>>WO or do you want to install a second gcc (or even a second cygwin)?
>

> If you use the windows installer of the GNUstep base.  (I know
> it is MinGW instead of cygwin.)  There is no problem using
> them next to each other.  If you use the mingw shell from the
> GNUstep development menu it uses the right compiler etc.
> For the rest you can just keep on using WO.
> We do this all the time.

This sounds really great!

So 'defaults read NSGlobalDomain' will read the WO defaults in all
shells except the except the mingw shell of the GNUstep development
menu, where it will use the GNUstep version.  Does the shell also remove
the PATH entries to the Apple paths, or should I simply avoid using
tools that aren't replicated by GNUstep/mingw?

Maybe I'll risk installing it on my WO machine soon and have a closer look.

Thanks!
David