Re: Advertising notifications (Was: Re: Port Growl!)

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: Advertising notifications (Was: Re: Port Growl!)
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:10:48 -0400

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:18:38 -0400, Stefan Urbanek
<stefan@agentfarms.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 13:02 -0400, Yen-Ju Chen wrote:
> > http://growl.info/
  [snip]

> Nice application. However, you have raised a topic that I have in mind
> for some time. What do you, and other developers, think about
> advertising all relevant distributed notifications posted by an
> application in some standard way so other
> logging/notifying/scripting/cooperating apps can take actions on those
> notifications?
>
> Something simple in *Info.plist like:
>
> GSNotifications = {
>         GNUMailReceivedMailNotification =
>         {
>                 DisplayName = "Received Mail";
>         }
> }
>
> With well known "interface" for advertising notifications one can easily
> create handlers/trggers to perform desired actions on known system state
> changes or events.
>
> What do you think?

  It is nice to have these kind of communications between applications,
  but for now, it is not very useful while considering the reality.
  Not many existing applications will use this function.
  Maybe when a full-functioned GNUstep desktop environment comes out,
  these notifications will make the system more integrated.
  If there is an application like Growl! for GNUstep,
  people will have the motivation to implement the "interface".

  Yen-Ju