Re: GNUstep Icons Effort : you can help !

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: GNUstep Icons Effort : you can help !
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 05:42:01 -0700 (PDT)

Quentin,

--- Quentin Mathé <gnustep-quentin@club-internet.fr> wrote:

> Le 24 oct. 04, à 19:55, Gregory John Casamento a écrit :
>
> > Since these icons will be distributed with GPL or LGPL software, it
> > seems the
> > most prudent choice to make certain that the license os the icons is
> > the same
> > as the software they're distrubuted with.
>
> The problem is theses icons can be used by non free softwares.

That is an issue which needs consideration.

> > Is there any objection to releasing them under the LGPL?   So long as
> > it's okay
> > to redistribute them as part of a GNU project (e.g. GNUstep), I don't
> > see any
> > problem.   I just want to make sure we're covering all of the bases
> > here. :)
>
> We can release them under the LGPL, but LGPL has been created for the
> software code unlike the Free Art license specifically written for
> artistic creations, so in my opinion it's better to use a related
> license. But as said in a previous mail to MJ Ray, there is a problem
> with the IconKit possibilities… Another license (not restrictive) is
> probably a better choice.

The icons currently in GNUstep are under the LGPL.  And since they will be
distributed with the software I see no reason for them to have a license that's
different.   Also rememeber, if these are to be incorporated into GNUstep with
a different license we will need to consult the FSF to see if it's acceptable
to them to have icons with that license in a GNU project.

I would rather avoid bugging their lawyers, if we don't need to. :)

GJC

=====
Gregory John Casamento
-- CEO/President Open Logic Corp. (A Maryland Corporation)
#### Maintainer of Gorm for GNUstep.