Re: Creating a GNUstep desktop on Solaris

From: Christian Plessl
Subject: Re: Creating a GNUstep desktop on Solaris
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 19:45:44 +0100

Adam Fedor wrote:
On Jan 4, 2005, at 10:26 AM, Nicolas Roard wrote:
TextEdit.app built successfully. It can be started. Howver, when I try to create a new document the application crashes "Illegal Instruction (core dumped)". Is this platform related or should I douwnload the sources from anywhere else. I can't believe that a simple app like TextEdit.app is not yet stable. While installing I got

It's probably platform-related -- TextEdit works fine on linux x86/ppc here.. can you come up with a trace ?

bt
On solaris, it's most likely:

someStructure = [aNullObject someMethod];

or equivalently:

... [aNullObject someMethod].someStructureMember

I'm rather new to Objective-C and Cocoa/GNUStep programming, but is this the standard behavior?

I thought, that messages sent to nil objects should be silently ignored by the Objective-C runtime system. Am I missing something?

Best regards,
 Christian