gnustep general impressions and possible bugs in PC, gorm, etc

From: Riccardo
Subject: gnustep general impressions and possible bugs in PC, gorm, etc
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 23:24:53 +0100

Hey all,

during the last days I was away from home with my laptop and so I hacked quite a bit on PRICE using the latest gnustep libraries and tools.

I'm happy to see a lot of improvment! And I hope to have contributed a bit with the new release of PRICE that is coming along and that will be released quite soon (hopefully).

Since I had only gnustep with me and no MacosX all development was done on it and so I stressed and used GNUstep more and I'll share a some experiences, bugs and impressions. I htink this mail will be much less negative since the (in)famous "gnsutep breakage report". True is that I am on linux/x86 so it is a much more "standard" platform and many bugs don't show up, but many others have been fixed.

Some of these are possibly bugs, if other can confirm then I can file them in the bug tracker, but I'd like some feedback. Other are maybe just missing features or unexpected behaviors.

ProjectCenter:
--------------
I am very happy to see a lot of improvment in it since the last time! It crashes rarely but much more important it has now support for NSTypes and some other necessay things to build PRICE and so I am now migrating the project to this new release. Also I see that several of my suggestions of my alst time have been implemented. Still I have some notes.

- when using the "Project Editor" and leaving the other panels inside the project window (not tear-off) I cannot switch back from the "builder" or "launcher" back to the editor. I suppose clicking on an open file shoud do that or the thirt button in the toolbar which is inactive. Tearing off the build and launch panel makes the editor usable when "docked"

- the text editor has bugs. For example it can happen that when deleting characters with backspace at the beginning of a line, instead of teleting the new-line itself, the new line remains and the characters at teh end of the upper line are deleted (while the cursor remains in the lower line at the leftmost char). It maybe a gnustep bug instead of PC, but I cannot reporduce it in TextEdit for example.

- the editor is very "simple", a "go to line" funciton would ease debugging :)

- can the project file only be called "PC.project"? renaming it to another name makes the "PC" one always be created as after a conversion, even if it is of the correct version. - a conversion overwrites alwasy the other file, so by having an old and new project, opening the old one converts it and overwrites the new one. A Message should warn the user so that his work is not lost.

GORM:
-----
- I cannot update an existing class by reparsing it. If I load the header of a class which has a new method added, re-loading it doesn't update it in Gorm, forcing to manually add an action/outlet. IB is smarter here and updates the new methos and warns for broken connections if one disappears. - sometimes Gorm crashes when bringing it into the foreground and the menu (of the application being edited) is not visible and the "NSMenu" icon is clicked. I cannot easily reproduce this, but it happened me several times. Apparently it it happens more easily when two or more projects are open inside Gorm

TextEdit:
---------
- the "show ruler" has no effect at all

GWorkspace:
- is the ddbd necessary? could its use be disabled for standard operation? - is the creation of .gwdir unavoidable? if it is useful only for some specific function maybe if could be requested (and created) only when that one is used - when moving a file to the trash, even with the keyboard shortcut, the confirmaiton panel comes up without focus, this disables keyboard aknwoledge by typing "enter" to confirm - could the "hidden files" feature be extended (or if it already can, how do I do it?) to hide or show all standard unix hidden files, i.e. .* ?
- when I ampty the trash, the available disk space is not updated

overall the experience is good... although I tried to convince a friend to adopt GNUstep as his workspace and essentiaƚlly the main question was "but what applications do I run with it" and so we have again that ever-recurring issue.

Cheers,
        Riccardo
        (aka grey gandalf on #GNUstep)