GWorkspace odd behaviour

From: Robin Rawson-Tetley
Subject: GWorkspace odd behaviour
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:32:57 +0000

Hi list, hopefully this is the right place for this question (it's a
miserable plea for help) - if not, stop reading now :-)

I've been having a bit of trouble getting GWorkspace (0.6.5) to work
- I tried the Debian package, and then built it from source, but
I get the same problem. Basically, it seems to work ok, but none of the
internal viewers work (all document types appear as a question mark icon
- even ones that I thought GWorkspace was supposed to deal with out of the box,
such as images), and when trying to start up any of the components
(Inspector.app, Operation.app) or even GWorkspace.app from Desktop.app,
a progress bar fills up followed by a dialog saying "couldn't contact [app]".
If I start the individual apps manually then it does actually work and I can
view attributes in the inspector and copy files and things (although I
have a dock with 4 extra icons in it). I source GNUstep.sh in my .xinitrc
file, make sure that gpbs and gdnc are started, and I have an init.d script
that starts up gdomap. All other GNUstep apps seem fine (I can use
ProjectCenter, Gorm, Terminal and MPDCon without any problems).

Desktop.app behaves oddly too (it must be related) - newly opened applications
don't appear in the dock, and the only thing in there is a question mark icon
for
GWorkspace and the recycler (they do appear at the bottom for Windowmaker
though).
I've attached a (very low quality) screenshot to try and convey what I
mean a bit better.

The following messages are logged to stdout when starting GWorkspace (but I
think they're a red herring):

GWorkspace[6907] File NSView.m: 259. In [NSScrollView -initWithFrame:]
given negative width
2005-02-02 15:06:21.000 GWorkspace[6907] WARNING: Attempt to
encode/decode an deprecated template.  Please update the .gorm.  Load
the gorm file in Gorm.app and resave to update it.
2005-02-02 15:06:21.000 GWorkspace[6907] WARNING: Attempt to
encode/decode an deprecated template.  Please update the .gorm.  Load
the gorm file in Gorm.app and resave to update it.

Anyone seen anything like this? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Robin Rawson-Tetley

Animal Shelter Manager (http://sheltermanager.sourceforge.net)