GUI without X11 / Artist Help

From: Jesse Ross
Subject: GUI without X11 / Artist Help
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 00:57:19 -0600

Hi!

I am an artist and graphic designer who recently discovered the GNUstep project. I first tried out the LiveCD, which worked well, then decided to install to hard disk. I started with a fresh, minimal Debian Sarge netinstall, then went through the Build notes and installed all the dependencies.

My question is this... how do I start a GUI session without using X11? I installed both the xlib and art backends, and was able to use startx to get the xlib environment running, but is there an alternative way to get a GUI without using startx? Isn't using startx relying on X, and not solely on libart?

Maybe I'm just confused, but it doesn't seem to make sense to me.

If anyone can comprehend this message and give me some hints or suggestions, that would be awesome.

Also, I'd be interested in helping the project out graphically -- I know that Jasper is already working on the icons, but I did a few comps of the required icons to show you the quality and style of my work (Keep in mind, these were done over two days, so the smaller icons aren't fully cleaned up yet).
http://www.jesseross.com/clients/icons/

Thanks for your help -- please let me know if there is anything I can do to help out in return.

Jesse Ross