Re: compatibility between NSKeyedArchiver in GNUstep and OS X

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: compatibility between NSKeyedArchiver in GNUstep and OS X
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 19:16:25 -0800 (PST)

Dan,

--- Dan Hitt <hitt@eskimo.com> wrote:

> Both OS X and GNUstep implement NSKeyedArchiver, which for reference
> allows a graph of objects to be archived.
>
> Are the implementations compatibile?
>
> That is, if i use NSKeyedArchiver to  archive some data to a file,
> will the same NSKeyedUnarchiver code i use to read it work for
> both OS X  and GNUstep?

Full compatibility has not yet been achieved for gui elements.   I believe,
however, that most of the elements in Foundation/base archive in a way which is
compatible with Mac OS X.

Richard, can you confirm this??

> (I ask because i don't want to trap my data in some non-portable
> form.)

Understandable.  This functionality is highly experimental.  All I can say is
to test your code.   We are working on making the archive formats as compatible
as possible for the keyed-archiver.

> Thanks in advance for any info from anybody.
>
> dan

GJC

=====
Gregory John Casamento
-- CEO/President Open Logic Corp. (A MD Corp.)
## Maintainer of Gorm (IB Equiv.) for GNUstep.