Re: backart - default backend?

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: backart - default backend?
Date: 17 Feb 2005 12:04:40 GMT

Gregory John Casamento <greg_casamento@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure what you're implying here, but I believe that Alex Malmberg has a
> patch for the problem. :)

I imply nothing more than I wrote: the latest back-art release
never worked with the contemporary release of freetype.

> Additionally, users CAN download the previous version of freetype and use that
> if they have a newer installation of Linux.

So, you think users should install year-old freetype on their
systems, with poorer hinting and flakier Type 1 font handling?
Alternatively, "track CVS".

Or install back-xlib, which has a working released version.

I know which I think is easier for users and better advice.

[...]
> > Is it premature to talk about switching defaults?
> No.  It's precisely the right time to do so.  Art is simply a more advanced
> backend and doesn't suffer from the same issues as xlib.

Are any of the back-xlib issues actually design problems or could
more love fix them all?

--
MJR/slef