EWMH, WWW/apps and reasons to migrate, was: backart - default backend?

From: MJ Ray
Subject: EWMH, WWW/apps and reasons to migrate, was: backart - default backend?
Date: 18 Feb 2005 01:38:50 GMT

Guido Schimmels <__guido__@web.de> wrote:
> I'm on modem dial-up. CVS checkout is sooo slow. So that was my "shortcut".
> I know I'm crazy.

I don't think so. Apparently people are even moving back from DSL
to dialup now. I've never been comfortable with the "use CVS" answer,
as is well-known. Then again, maybe I'm crazy the same.

> Btw. I'm not going to consider GNUstep for my apps, unless it has an EWMH
> mode.

Do we know which EWMH are missing?

> Incidentally, how about placing a link to Cenon prominently on the homepage?

Not sure. I don't have it installed here yet. Anyone got a screenshot
we can copy? (The astrology data files are under a restrictive
copyright licence, so I'd rather not promote that module.)

> O, and 50%-75% of the GNUstep application links are dead.
> Not helpfull. Leaves a very bad impression :-(

I've noticed this the last couple of days. I've fixed one or two,
but I don't have access to the Applications Database, nor the source
code to fix the obvious bugs/missing features in it. I'll ask on
webmaster-gnustep - anyone want to help?

> So why am I interested in GNUstep?
> I'm currently using pygtk for application development.
> Pygtk hides a lot of the GTK+ ugliness [...]

I know what you mean. I was developing in guile-gtk, but there's
only so much ugliness that you can hide and then they made ^A
destroy data (but you can write a rc file on every system that
starts GTK applications, so it's OK to hurt users in consecutive
major versions, right?).

I think the message-passing of GNUstep fits well with typical
XLISP-style message-passing, but I've not managed to make a
guile-gstep app yet. Some of GNUstep's user interface is *so*
much better (some isn't but people are starting to hunt those
now) that I hang around doing related tasks, but one day...

I think there are *many* balls coming this way. Are we ready to juggle?
Can we keep the balls up, or will we make a balls-up of it?

Hey, I like this metaphor.

--
MJR/slef