Re: Look and Feel

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 15:08:12 +0000

Le 19 févr. 05, à 08:58, Richard Frith-Macdonald a écrit :

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd happily see a good theme engine contributed to the core distribution.

Indeed, I believe it makes sense to have a degree of theme support built in to the standard gui classes rather than requiring a theme engine to be entirely separate ... but extremely clean/clear/simple/maintainable code is essential there, as keeping the gui reliable/bugfree/fast/compatible is high priority.

That being said, if I was writing a theme engine, I'd do it entirely separately to start with ... and only when it was stable would I start to gradually merge features into the gui code where it helps performance and avoids code duplication. The -poseAs: feature of ObjC is great here.

Well, that's exactly what I'm doing with Camaelon... there's a reason the current version isn't officially announced (I'm cleaning up things) :-) And of course, it's separated to -gui, and ideally the small modifs I did to many widgets will be committed to -gui, not stay in Camaelon. So Camaelon will just end up being a particular implementation of GSDrawFunctions..

--
Nicolas Roard
 -Arthur C. Clarke