Re: file annotations

From: Enrico Sersale
Subject: Re: file annotations
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:57:44 +0200

On 2005-02-24 05:31:58 +0200 Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@sympatico.ca> wrote:

On 2005-02-23 22:14:28 -0500 Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

I have done shome further testing- it is definitely the file names
that are causing the problem. SOme of the contain space and things
like "(" and ")". The searchtool is choking on these.

Oops, I spoke too soon again, apparently my second sample wasn't large
enough. I tried searching for files that starts with x in /usr and I
hit the "too many open files" again.

The file names should not be a problem because I'm using a lsfolder to check
new files in the incoming directory of our ftp server; in this directory people
puts *only* files with strange windows names :-)

Regarding the "too many open files" error: I've tried here on my linux and on
my iMac but I can't reproduce this. Are you sure that you have not an other bug on your
system?

Try to compile and run this:

int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
  CREATE_AUTORELEASE_POOL (pool);
  NSString *path = @"/";
  NSArray *contents = [[NSFileManager defaultManager] subpathsAtPath: path];
  NSLog(@"%i", [contents count]);
  RELEASE (pool);
  exit(0);
}

This will create a big array with all the contents at "path". (you can start trying with
something lighter than "/").
If you get a "too many open files", you have a problem...

PS
I'm adding the "do not recurse" option.