Re: problem with poseAs

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: problem with poseAs
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 14:41:57 +0200

Lloyd Dupont wrote:
I'm trying to port an application write on MacoSX to GNUstep/Windows.
The application uses many MacOSX 10.3 features (I mean method and classes added in 10.3).

I had a runtime error because of such a missing accessor for a new defaultTabInterval property in NSMutableParagraphStyle.

So I decided to simply write a superclass and use the 'poseAs ' mechanism.
However, when I did so, I had this puzzling error message issued by the runtime (and followed by an exit(3)): Assertion failed: impostor->instance_size == super_class->instance_size, file class.c, line 638

I'm kind of puzzled, couldn't you have new instance variable in a posing subclass?
That's the whole advantage compare to categories...

How could I work around that?
I need paragraph style information extensoively and absolutely, I can't simply remove the code using it....

If you need this additional behaviour that badly, why not just write the code and donate it to GNUstep? Getting it somehow working in your private application may be great for you, but having it in GNUstep will benefit all of us. That is one of the benefits of free software, you have the code available and are able to change it. Write a patch that includes your additions and sign a copyright assignment to the FSF, thats it. If you send the patch this weekend, I promisse to include it into CVS until Sunday. I wont have time to do this next week, but others may.

Cheers
Fred