deployment issues on windows

From: Lloyd Dupont
Subject: deployment issues on windows
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:52:36 +1000

OK, I know, I have the source....
Anyway let me explain the problem and maybe someone could show me a quick fix.

It seems that all GNUstep based application need to be deployed is GNUstep's DLLs, plus to set the environment variable:
GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT
to point to a directory containing the content of <GNUstep>/System

so far so good.

Now I'm on windows, remember! and I don't want to mess with the user's environment variable or use (disgusting) launching script (you know, these bat file or 'special' shortcuts), etc.. I just want to click on my application's exe (with a nice Icon) and here you go, it just runs!

I was thinking to simply have a call to putenv() at the start of my application which setup a correct value for GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT.

However this is not reliable (i.e. it sometimes work, sometimes not ;-( yeah, I know, sometimes...).
Part of the problem, I believe, is that environment variable are cached when the NSProcessInfo class is initialized (hence change to them at later date are useless).

Now I wonder how to fix that without breaking anything (you know, I'm new to that code, etc.....)