Tyring to run the examples program...and failing

From: Jacob Rohde
Subject: Tyring to run the examples program...and failing
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:47:07 +0200

Hi list,

In continuation of my first post I went and downloaded the examples
package to try it out. I'm on Windows.

I just couldn't make it work. This is what I did:

I opened a shell (msys) and navigated to the examples folder I have
conveniently placed in my "home" directory.

I ran make, and it compiled the stuff. I didn't looked at all the
ouput but it seemed to go fine.

I changed to one of the apps, Ink, and ran openapp Ink, and then the
problems began.

First my firewall went crazy because something was trying to personate
a web server (sh.exe). From the output in the shell I could see that
some server was needed so I opened my firewall (F-Secure Internet
Security) and allowed sh.exe to do it's thing. From now on my firewall
was silent.

It was clear that something was trying to start, but I got a dialog
bog about a critical error in Ink. I clicked Abort and checked the
output in the shell.

It said that I needed to run gdnc first ("I couldn't contact the
notification server" etc.). So in another shell I ran gdnc and then I
tried starting the Calculator app this time.

Some GUI (not a calculator though, some buttons: Edit, Info etc.)
appeared in the top-left of my screen but it didn't work. It was
unresponsive.

The gdnc ouput was: "unable to register with name server quitting" and
a lot of "The file 'c:\GNUstep\System\.GNUsteprc' is writable by
someone other than its owner. Ignoring it".

Output in the shell from where I started the Calculator app was also a
lot of "The file 'c:\GNUstep\System\.GNUsteprc' is writable by someone
other than its owner. Ignoring it", and then it exited with
"Calculator.exe: Uncaught exception NSInternalInconsistencyException,
reason: unable to contact GDNC server" (no surprise there since gdnc
has quit).

A dialog box about a critical error in Calculator.exe also appeared. I
clicked Abort.

Anyway what can I do here? Have I done something wrong?

By the way, I also trued running gdnc with the -f option (a tip I got
from searching the mailing list archive, but it didn't help).

(sorry for the long post)

Thanks in advance,
Jacob

--