Widget rendering in GNUstep

From: Chris Meredith
Subject: Widget rendering in GNUstep
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:12:37 -0700

Greetings.

I'm wondering how controls are rendered using GNUstep under Win32 as, due to the fact that I have no eyesight, I use adaptive technology to read the screen. If standard Windows controls--or, at the very least, native Win32 APIs are used to draw the controls, I can make them work. If, on the other hand, they're drawn using some third party API (something X11ish), this may create a problem or five. As a reference point, the MSYS shell does not work unless I run it as a console application rather than through ... XRVT, I think it is?.

Failing any breakthroughs involving Win32, there is adaptive technology out there that allows one to "hear" the output of any applications run from the GNOME environment. Would that be usable?

All else failing, Cocoa and its standard suite of controls talk nicely. Are there any stumbling blocks making code written for Cocoa run on GNUstep, given the real possibility of not having the ability to have a GNUstep test environment?

-C-