Re: GNUStep FreeBSD 6.0

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: GNUStep FreeBSD 6.0
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 09:37:38 +0100

On 1/12/06, Henry Acevedo <henryacev@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello folks!
> I´m new on this discussion list
> I just like to know if there is anyone who has experience in setup via
> GNUstartup script to install GNUStep latest version
> I allways do via ports, but takes some time in get the latest port, and when
> I tries to do via the script, some errors stop the install process
[...]

I strongly recommend NOT using the ports. For one, it takes a long
time for them to get updated, and they do not install all required
dependencies. You could, of course, install all dependencies first,
then install the ports.

For a reasonable installation, make sure the following ports are installed:
- x11-wm/wmaker
- textproc/libxml2
- textproc/libxslt
- math/libgmp4
- devel/ffcall

You may also want to install
- graphics/libart_lgpl2
- graphics/glitz
depending on the backend(s) you want to use.

For printing, you need
- print/cups
which is (usually) automatically included when you install SAMBA.

For sound support, you would also need
- audio/libaudiofile
- audio/portaudio.
However, GNUstep wants portaudo-19.x which is not yet available on
FreeBSD, due to v19 being BETA.

> any help please! or can the GNUStep team to include FreeBSD into the startup
> script

I'm not sure why you want to use the startup script anyway on FreeBSD, as
- devel/gnustep
is a meta-port that should do all required configuration for you (with
the exception of missing out some dependencies, as noted above).

Unless you want to install GNUstep 'by hand.'
In that case, make sure all above mentioned dependencies are already
installed, then go through each directory in core/ (that is, make,
base, gui, back), run ./configure and gmake.

--
Chris