Re: Options and choises rant

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: Options and choises rant
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 23:37:53 +0100

Am 15.01.2006 um 11:28 schrieb Dennis Leeuw:

The "make everybody happy" paradigm might be part of the open source community, since it helps to get more developers, but to me it sounds like a wrong design approach for the end user. The more options to choose from the less people feel comfortable with a certain piece of software.

I agree with you, but I'd want to expand this to developers as well. Simplicity is one of the biggest advantages of OpenStep/GNUstep/Cocoa over other development environments. The average developer doesn't want to get lost in the 100+ options you can invoke gcc with. They don't want the burden of the decision wether to use C, C++, C++ with templates, C++ with STL, C++ with boost, ... . They don't want to wade through 150 available methods; they'd prefer 20 methods, even if this requires a few additional lines of code. They don't want to learn 574 classes, they want to concentrate at solving their programming task. OK, "they" is actually "me" here.

Look at the remote control. The less buttons the easier people can work with it.

This is why I have 5 to 7 items in (Mac OS X) Mail's toolbar, only. Even the "Reply" button vanished as it is easier (not quicker) to always click "Reply all", then remove unwanted adresses. I use the menu for setup tasks, only.

My preferred example of a totally overfeatured tool is ssh. Once you found out how to use it, it's simple. But there are so many options I never fully understood the man page(s). Try and error (and partial understanding) teached me you can forget about all but one encryption algorithm, you can forget about all but one option (-u), you can forget about ssh-agent. Even the use of passphrases is questionable. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'll probably never notice.

vim vs. classic vi is another sample: Once I accidently got into vim's help section. Hundreds of commands I'll never have a use for it, because you can work around them with a few of the classic commands easily. vim hides the useless features better than ssh.

Have other people experiences with users and how programs are percieved?

There's one problem with the less-is-more paradigm: People remember best what they already know. If their old mail client has an reply- not-to-all-but-to-all-my-buddies button, their first question when using the new client is "where's the reply-not-to-all-but-to-all-my- buddies button?". Accordingly, their first impression of the new client is: "It's not that good".

It's sometimes hard to get people over this first impression, but the survival and current success of Mac OS X, the appearance of distributions like Ubuntu show, it's possible. Let me add: It's essential for the survival of personal computing as such.

my $0.02
Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/