Re: Options and choises rant

From: Marc Brünink
Subject: Re: Options and choises rant
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 11:04:39 +0100

PS.
I've read that research suggests 7 items as a maximum that people (in general) can readily keep in mind, so even a menu with ten items is probably longer than desirable.

Nice... didn't know that. My girlfriend initially suggested 5, which I thought was way too little... but apperently I should have listened. She was much closer to the 7 then I was... :)

Actually it's between 4-9. "Normal" people can hold between 5-7 tokens. Nevertheless to find an entry in a (menu) list you need just one token (to hold the searched item). So this has no impact on the length of the menu at all. But it has an impact on the depth of submenus. But only if you want to memorize the path (I guess)

btw: I highly dislike the fact that the bcc-field in Mac-Mail is considered "advanced".

regards
Marc