Re: NSCharacterSet bloat?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: NSCharacterSet bloat?
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 21:14:38 +0000

On 23 Jan 2006, at 20:20, Derek Zhou wrote:

Hi all,
It looks like now NSCharacterSet in base (1.11.2) contains more than
600k of const static data (all the NSCharacterSet bitmaps). To put
thing in persective, it is more than 25% of the total TEXT size of the
compiled libgnustep-base.so file. I check base-1.9.1 I had from a
while ago, base used to store them in files (they still exist, just
out of date) and read them in on demand. IMO, the old behavior is much
saner. Embedding large data structure in the source code just don't
look right to me. Why do we made this change? If the concern is to
share the bitmaps among multiple app instances, we can mmap them
instead of read them anyway.

This is because some people (windows users primarily) voiced objections to the dependencies on other files and wanted to minimise the number of files installed. Many times I got the impression that objections are aesthetic, but the idea of minimising the number of external resources that can be misplaced and break things seems reasonable. Now it sounds like you have your own aesthetic objections to the new way of doing things, I guess you can't please everyone.

Also the file NSCharacterSetData.h seems like auomatically generated
by some program and I cannot find the program in the base
tarball. Inconvienence aside, it is also against common practices of
distributing free software.

The charsets are provided both in the header files in the source code and (less readably) in the old data files. The location of the utilities used to generate the files is given in the readme file in the NSCharacterSets directory containing those data files.