Re: NSCharacterSet bloat?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: NSCharacterSet bloat?
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 04:38:31 +0000

On 23 Jan 2006, at 22:40, Derek Zhou wrote:

Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk> writes:

On 23 Jan 2006, at 20:20, Derek Zhou wrote:

Also the file NSCharacterSetData.h seems like auomatically generated
by some program and I cannot find the program in the base
tarball. Inconvienence aside, it is also against common practices of
distributing free software.

The charsets are provided both in the header files in the source code
and (less readably) in the old data files.
The location of the utilities used to generate the files is given in
the readme file in the NSCharacterSets directory containing those
data files.

If that is not too big, can we merge them into base or make?

Of course we could ... but I can see no reason to do so, any more than we should merge gcc into the base or make package.(less in fact ... gcc is generally useful). Perhaps you want to do something worthwhile here though ... I can see some value if you want to produce a new utility to reliably download charset data from the unicode website, convert it to the format in which it is used in the base library, compare it with the built-in data, and produce a warning if the base library is no longer up to date. That would save us the effort of doing it manually once every few years.