Re: NSStream and friends + NSPredicate, NSExpression and others

From: hns
Subject: Re: NSStream and friends + NSPredicate, NSExpression and others
Date: 14 Feb 2006 02:04:36 -0800

Richard Frith-Macdonald schrieb:

> On 3 Feb 2006, at 21:24, hns@computer.org wrote:
>

> > hns@computer.org schrieb:
> >

> I'm very interested in that, as I've been wanting to restructure to
> get all the I/O code using a single underlying API for a few years
> now, but never had the time to do it.  Of course, it *must* work on
> mingw32 (ie native windows API) and be extremely stable/reliable if
> we want to put it into GNUstep base.
> Does this complement Derek Zhou's work on NSStream?  Are you planning
> to get together on it?

We have not known of each other before we started this thread and have
probably paralleled much work. So we might have two alternative
implementations which we (or some volunteer) can compare and pick out
the best ideas.

This could especially be important for the mingw32 API which might have
its special issues. I personally have no
experience with that so I have used the standard POSIX socket(),
select(), connect(), listen() calls - assuming a certain behaviour.

> > * NSNetServices
>
> I haven't looked into this at all ... what's the functionality?

Zeroconf/Bonjour.

> > * NSIndexPath
>
> Do you have keyed archiving interoperable with MacOS-X for this
> class?  I'd be interested in that because I don't think the keyed

No, that is missing.

> archive representations of an NSIndexPath in macos and gnustep are
> properly compatible yet.
>
> > * NSHTTP* and NSURL* headers and some implementations
>
> Do you mean just the basic classes as in GNUstep, or all the newer
> supporting classes added to MacOS-X more recently when they rewrote
> the http/url code?

All the newer ones. Headers are IMHO complete and the simple classes.

-- hns