Re: Lates windows builds on homepage

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Lates windows builds on homepage
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 19:55:54 +0000

On 14 Feb 2006, at 14:02, Andy Satori wrote:

I think you misunderstood, or I misstated. I think that a list should be posted. The balance between 'it works' and 'its fully supported' is the fine line I want see balanced. EG, several of the highest profile GnuStep
apps will not work today, I think that needs to be made clear, and why
(Windows Socket support is not x-platform friendly).

Actually the base library provides portable (unix/mingw32) socket networking in some extensons to NSFileHandle ... the problem is that some apps don't use it and work with unix sockets directly themselves, because MacOS-X didn't have any portable socket API. Now, MacOS-X gas introduced NSStream and I think it's socket API can be made portable to minw32 ... so if we implement that in base for unix and ming we shoud have a socket API which is portable across all systems.