Re: Some bug reports and usability issues with GWorkspace.app

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: Some bug reports and usability issues with GWorkspace.app
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 22:26:51 +0100

Hi Enrico,

The "mtab" file was used only to individuate mount points to show them as disks on the desktop. Now this has changed; on linux GWorkspace uses getmntent(), on FreeBSD the output of "mount -p" and on darwin getmntinfo(). If the system is not detected or something goes wrong, an empty NSArray is returned.
FreeBSD also has the getmntinfo() call:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=getmntinfo&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+6.0-RELEASE+and+Ports&format=html

I was forgetting that there is a rule for the paths accepted by the viewer shelf! A shelf accepts only paths that are subpaths of the path at which the viewer is rooted. This is needed because clicking on a shelf icon sets the selection in the viewer; a viewer rooted, for example, at "/usr/local" must not show "/home/enrico"!
Thanks for cluing me in, I thought something was horribly broken >_>.. This should be mentioned in the GW guide.