Re: Some bug reports and usability issues with GWorkspace.app

From: Enrico Sersale
Subject: Re: Some bug reports and usability issues with GWorkspace.app
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 21:12:07 +0200

On 2006-03-06 20:32:01 +0200 Nikolaus Waxweiler <madleser@gmx.de> wrote:

Hi Enrico,
I tested all of this with 0.8.1 again.

You shoud always use the version on svn in these situations; the things that I
fix/modify daily are there.

1)
Remains. Maybe some differences in filesystems or encoding libraries? Did the mkdir'd folder show up as "?" or a box-character on the commandline? The GTK2 file-selector dialog told me that the filename had an invalid encoding. Does GW check for something like this or would that be the task of the Base/GUI library?

No, GWorkspace uses only library methods for paths handling.

2) I can't move files between different partitions (from /usr to /tmp, etc.).
This must work.
Well, it doesn't for me =/.. Does GW by any chance rely on this "mtab" file I saw in an earlier version? That file doesn't exist on FreeBSD.

GWorkspace doesn't know anything about "partitions"; all the work is done in
NSFileManager.
The "mtab" file was used only to individuate mount points to show them as disks on the
desktop. Now this has changed; on linux GWorkspace uses getmntent(), on FreeBSD the output of
"mount -p" and on darwin getmntinfo(). If the system is not detected or something goes
wrong, an empty NSArray is returned.

3) I can't move items in the shelf from one window to another window's shelf, except when I drop it on a folder or maybe app there. Same goes for the tabbed shelf.
The current behaviour is: if you drag an item from a shelf (tabbed or not) to another one, the item will be added to the target shelf but will not be removed from the source.
Dragging something *TO* the tabbed shelf always worked, it's the window<->window and tabbed_shelf->window dragging that works only randomly. My problem was that I couldn't drop shelf icons on empty space in another window's shelf (the mouse pointer changed to that "forbidden" sign) and if I tried anyway, the icon was removed from the source shelf. I've just tested this with 0.8.1, which now works more or less like you described. It's just... it works with some files and not for others.. Some shelf icons I can't drop on any other window's shelf, some I can drop only on a specific one (for whatever reason) and some I can drop everywhere. Gah. I'm going to investigate this later.

I was forgetting that there is a rule for the paths accepted by the viewer
shelf!
A shelf accepts only paths that are subpaths of the path at which the viewer is rooted. This is
needed because clicking on a shelf icon sets the selection in the viewer; a viewer rooted, for
example, at "/usr/local" must not show "/home/enrico"!

4) I can't drop folders on application icons in the shelf. This is annoying if an app expects a folder as an argument and I have to use a service thingy as a workaround.
Just tested with a shelf icon representing Gorm: it works.

*.gorm, *.app, etc. folders are treated as a single file, try it with any other folder.

I've never considered this case; I'll see if I can modify this without breaking
things...

- I can't use file operations (delete, etc.) on the search results.
You can move, copy and delete items; the only limitation is that, if you want to act on multiple elements together, they must have the same parent directory. (you can order the view by "Parent").
File operations are still grayed out no matter which or how many files I select =(.

Some of them as "New Folder", "New File", "Duplicate"  are grayed out because
they have no sense in that context. Well, I should activate the other ones; tomorrow I'll try this.
But you can anyway open, move, put in the recycler using the mouse.

6) Interface issues:
- After deleting a file, the parent dir/"parent object in that folder->folder->file view" is selected instead of the next file.
This is intentional; [...]

Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

- Command-S is mapped to something twice: View->Viewer Behaviour->Spatial and Tools->Tabbed Shelf->Select Special Tab.
Ok. Fixed.
Now "Hide" and "Show All" are both mapped to "h" :O.

Fixed.

Oh, before I forget it: why is the "Print" menu entry between "Windows" and "Tools"? It sort of looks out of place there.

Fixed.