running make

From: phil taylor
Subject: running make
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 11:39:55 +1000

I am new to GNUstep, and simply trying to compile my first program. I
have installed GNUstep on Debian Etch. The problem I am getting looks to
be simply one of getting a path env variable setup, in this case
GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES.

I have added this line to my .bashrc:

        GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES=/usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles

If I try and display the variable from my shell I get:

        barny@debian:~/GNUstep/Rabbit_Lang$ echo $GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES
        /usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles

This is correct - its where the Makefiles directory actually is, shown
by cd'ing to it as follows:

        barny@debian:~/GNUstep/Rabbit_Lang$ cd /usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles
        barny@debian:/usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles$ ls

When I try and make my program, i get:

        barny@debian:~/GNUstep/Rabbit_Lang$ make
        GNUmakefile:1: /common.make: No such file or directory
        GNUmakefile:6: /application.make: No such file or directory
        make: *** No rule to make target `/application.make'.  Stop.

The makefile is:

        include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make
        APP_NAME = MyApplication
        MyApplication_APPLICATION_ICON = rabbit.png
        MyApplication_RESOURCE_FILES = rabbit.png
        MyApplication_OBJC_FILES = rabbit.m
        include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/application.make

The whole thing looks simple, so I am baffled by why it wont work. Can
anyone help me?

Also, can anyone steer me towards some tutorial that does not presume
any level of knowledge whatsoever. Most tutorials will explain how to
create the make file, and then glibly say "now make the program"
assuming you know how to do that. I dont.

Many thanks in advance,

Phil Taylor.

ptay1685@bigpond.net.au