Re: make on multiprocessor machines

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: make on multiprocessor machines
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 17:44:24 +0200 (CEST)

>> There might be ways out by using new make features, but at the moment you
>> shouldn't expect 'make -j' to work.
>>
>> I think to speed up compilation, supporting PCH would be an easier task.
>> I need to get my hands on a GCC version >= 3.4.x ;-)
>
> So we should concentrate on machines with good single thread
> performance. A T2000 does not seem to be such a good choice for a
> workgroup server in a dev department. :-(

One option is ... that if your software build is "obviously parallelizable",
eg, you have 3 libraries to build in 3 directories and they are
independent of
each other, then you could manually fire off 3 make processes in the 3
directories. ;-)

> We use 3.4.4! What is PCH?

Precompiled headers ... will speed up compilation a lot.  gnustep-make
could support it with a bit of work, Helge did some preliminary work.
I'll see if I can get a 3.4.4 compiler and merge his changes in :-)

Thanks