Re: The Wiki

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: The Wiki
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 20:28:26 +0200

As far as *replacing* the web site with the wiki, I'm not sure where this initiative came from;

Probably me. Teehee~

[...] but do feel that navigation on wiki sites tends to be poorer than on dedicated / custom sites. First, site layout (top and left navigation bars, etc.) tends to be impoverished, and more wiki-oriented than domain-oriented.

Well, this can be fixed. See

* http://www.etoile-project.org/
* http://beep-media-player.org/
* http://amarok.kde.org/wiki

I don't have access to the templates, so there's nothing I can do about that now.

Amarok (http://amarok.kde.org/) uses a bare-bones page as the main site with all important announcements on it and links to the wiki for everything else. This approach could be used for GNUstep as well, if the website maintainer(s) prefer(s) that :)

Second, if the organization changes regularly it can be difficult for repeat users to find things.

Shouldn't happen if the main page is updated, no?