Re: Cocotron

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: Cocotron
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 11:33:34 +0100

On 12/31/06, Stefan Bidigaray <stefanbidi@gmail.com> wrote:
The only think that I don't like about the current implementation is the
whole /System, /Local and /Network hierarchies (I'll refer to everything as
if it was installed to /).  I'm really bad at trying to say what on my mind
cause it's a mess up there, but here goes.  Why not make the "/System"
hierarchy just be "/"?  This would mean the hierarchy would be something
more like:
[...]

You can do that by modifying GNUstep.conf, e.g. during installation of
gnustep-make:

       CC=gcc41 ./configure
               --with-system-root=/
               --with-local-root=/
               --with-network-root=/Network
               --with-user-config-file='~/Library/.GNUstep.conf'
               --with-user-dir='~'
               --with-user-defaults-dir='~/Library/Defaults'
               --with-config-file=/share/GNUstep.conf

As you can see, I install everything in / -- that is, I will end up with
 /Applications
 /Library
 /Network (nostalgia)
 /Tools
 /share (which should really be in /Library).

And instead of HOME/GNUstep/... I put everything directly in my home directory.

Been using this 'set-up' for more than a year, and haven't encountered
any problems (aside from moronicly written Makefiles and source code
that insist on using hard-coded path names, like Addresses).

--
Chris